International superstar Will Smith recently revealed in an interview that his 14-year-old son Jaden wants to be emancipated from his parents. According to radaronline, Jaden asked that he be given legal independence for his 15th birthday so that he can live in his own private home.
“He says, ‘Dad, I want to be emancipated.’ I know if we do this, he can be an emancipated minor, because he really wants to have his own place, like ‘Ooh,’” Will tells The Sun.
Jaden would like to join other famous teenagers like Drew Barrymore, Corey Feldman, and Macaulay Culkin who were granted independence from their parents. Past cases of celebrity emancipations have been mostly the result of battles over money or obtaining the legal right to work longer hours on movie sets.
Jaden’s emancipation request appears to be more about personal freedom than disputes over finances or wanting to work overtime. Will does not reveal if he and Jada Pinkett Smith will willingly grant their son the right to live alone, but he seems to be understanding of the teenager’s desire to control more of his life.
“That’s the backlash. On the other side, if kids just want to have command of their lives, I understand,” says Will.
Jaden has been a professional entertainer since the age of three when he appeared in 2002′s Men in Black II. The young actor has also starred in The Pursuit of Happyness, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and The Karate Kid.
He will join forces with his dad for this month’s sci-fi film After Earth (5/31) directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
He also continues to follow in his father’s footsteps by pursuing the world of rap music as well. Last October Jaden released his first mixtape The Cool Cafe.
- Jaden Smith Wants To Be Emancipated From Will & Jada (allhiphop.com)
- Jaden Smith, 14, Wants To Be Emancipated From Parents Will & Jada So He Can Live Alone (radaronline.com)
- will smith on raising showbiz children (thesun.co.uk)
- Too Grown? Will Smith’s Son Jaden Smith Wants To Be “Emancipated” So He Can Move Out His Parent’s House And Ball Out Of Control In His Own Crib (bossip.com)
- Will Smith doesn’t punish his kids (contactmusic.com)
- Will and Jada Pinket Smith’s Parenting Style: ‘We Don’t Believe in Punishment’ (atlantablackstar.com)