Ja Rule was released from prison early this morning after serving nearly two years on charges of illegal gun possession as well as federal tax evasion. According to TMZ, he was picked up by his wife at around 10 AM. But Rule isn’t totally free yet, he’ll be on house arrest until July 28th.
“My client Jeffrey Atkins aka Ja Rule was released this morning from the Raybrook Correctional Facility in Upstate New York to serve out his federal time obligation due under the terms set forth in accordance with home confinement which were secured by his attorney Stacy Richman,” said spokesperson Melanie A. Bonvicino in a statement to MTV. “At present, he looks forward to spending some time with his family while he completes his memoir.”
The Queens rapper was originally arrested in 2007 for having a loaded semi-automatic handgun in his car. He was then hit with a 2 year sentence in 2010 when he pled guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon.
In July 2011, he was also sentenced to 28 months for tax evasion, after failing to pay taxes on more than $3 million between 2004 and 2006. He served both sentences concurrently.
While in jail, he released his album Pain Is Love 2 last year to little fanfare.
- Ja Rule — Released from Prison (tmz.com)
- It’s Murdaaaa!!! Ja Rule FINALLY Released From Prison After Serving Two Years For Gun Possession And Tax Evasion (bossip.com)
- Ja Rule Is Out of Jail (complex.com)
- JUST IN: Rapper Ja Rule Released from Prison After Two Year Sentence (freaknaija.wordpress.com)
- Ja Rule Is Released From Prison (dajaz1.com)