Public Enemy and N.W.A. are among the 13 groups to be nominated for the 28th annual induction ceremony, which will take place next year in Los Angeles.
In addition to Public Enemy and N.W.A., groups like Heart, Albert King, Kraftwerk, Deep Purple, The Marvelettes, and The Meters are also up for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.
“The definition of ‘rock and roll’ means different things to different people, but as broad as the classifications may be, they all share a common love of the music,” said Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. “This year we again proudly put forth a fantastic array of groups and artists that span the entire genre that is ‘rock and roll’.”
In order in order to be nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, each act or artist must have released their first single, or album at least 25 years ago.
The inductees will ultimately be determined by an international voting body, made up of music historians, executives and other professionals related to the field.
The 28th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place in Los Angeles at the Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE on Thursday, April 18, 2013.
Check out the full nomination list below:
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
- Rush, Public Enemy, Deep Purple Nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (rollingstone.com)
- Rush, Public Enemy among Rock Hall of Fame noms (sacbee.com)
- Rush, Public Enemy among Rock Hall of Fame noms (cnsnews.com)
- Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Releases Latest List Of Nominees (huffingtonpost.com)
- Rush, Public Enemy among Rock Hall of Fame noms (miamiherald.com)