“We’ve got a little bond,” President Barack Obama said of longtime pal and supporter Jay-Z, who hosted a $40,000-a-head fundraiser for the POTUS with wife Beyoncé at the rapper’s 40/40 Club in New York City last week.
Just how similar is Jay to the Prez? “We both have daughters, and our wives are more popular than we are,” explained Obama to an exclusive crowd of 100 guests. “It’s hard but it’s OK.”
But their likeness runs far deeper than family.
Celebuzz is breaking down what makes Jay-Z and Obama are almost like two peas in a pod.
1. Both are leaders of their game.
Obama is, of course, the leader of the free world. And hip-hop mogul Jay-Z runs the rap game.
2. Both were raised in fatherless homes.
Jay-Z has never been shy about sharing details about his troubled childhood, including how his father abandoned his family. When Obama was just a boy, his father called it quits on his household, too, eventually moving back to Africa.
3. Both dabbled in drugs.
Through his musical prowess, Jay-Z has spun his on-the-streets experience with drugs into record-selling lyrics. In his memoir, Dreams From My Father, the Commander-in-Chief candidly discusses smoking weed and “using a little blow.”
4. Both appreciate the oldies.
No American can forget that truly cherishable moment when our president sang Al Green during a speech. And though Jay-Z is known for rap, the artist has admitted that his mother’s classic records inspired his chart-topping album, The Blueprint.
5. Both are sports fanatics.
Not only does he shoot hoops and compete on the golf course, the Commander-in-Chief is a die-hard Chicago sports fan. Jay is often court-side cheering on the Nets, the newly minted Brooklyn NBA squad of which he is part owner.
- Jay-Z and President Barack Obama: 5 Things They Have in Common (celebuzz.com)
- Beyoncé and Jay-Z Raise $4M for Obama (theroot.com)
- Beyonce & Jay-Z Host Obama Fundraiser at 40/40 Club (everythinggirlsloveblog.com)
- Jay-Z & Beyoncé To Host Fund-Raiser For Barack Obama At 40/40 Club (hiphopwired.com)
- Jay-Z and Beyoncé to host Obama fundraiser at 40/40 club (thegrio.com)